Impact where you live
Our commitment to communities
How we do business is as important as what we do, and at McLaren, we take full responsibility for fostering a more inclusive and sustainable society. Delivering social value gives us a sense of purpose, and is considered in all our business decisions, including how we employ people, how we engage with the communities we work in and how we buy products and services.
At the heart of everything we build are the people. Local people are the ones who will enjoy our projects for years to come so engaging with them throughout the construction process is essential.
Our programmes and activities are focused on adding value to local communities, inspiring and motivating individuals and creating a positive perception of the construction industry as a force for good.
By 2025, McLaren aim to be industry leaders in three key policy areas: Planet, People and Social Conscience.
The past year has had an effect on us all. Mental health has been one of the biggest casualties in the fight against Covid-19. We have partnered with Lighthouse Club, a charity that provides emotional and financial support to our construction workforce when they need it most.
In line with our Work Safe Home Safe programme, we are on a journey to continue educating everyone in our industry to recognise the key signs and symptoms of difficulty or distress in our colleagues and create a more positive mental health culture.
Lighthouse Club allows us to:
- Raise mental health awareness
- Provide our colleagues with a support service available 24/7
- Access mental health awareness training
- Encourage colleagues who are struggling to reach out for help
- Change the perception of mental health in the construction industry
Construction Youth Trust
One of the key objectives as part of our Community Strategy is to create entry opportunities for young people to join the construction industry.
By partnering with the Construction Youth Trust, we can help inspire and enable young people to overcome barriers and discover a career in the construction sector.
We have joined with this charity to:
- Partner with educational institutions to find young talent
- Source employment and work experience from the communities we work in
- Upskill local people
- Inspire young people to choose construction as a career path
- Engage with the next generation of construction workers